Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday Finish: Hollywood's Quilt

Ok this quilt was the breaking point...what breaking point...the one that meant my Handiquilter aka Abby had to go to the repair shop/doctor.  I loaded it last week, and on row two started having thread shredding issues again, and by row three I was ready to throw everything out of the window.  I called the place I purchased it and since it was a long drive, they made arrangements for the "doctor" to meet me at the shop and work on it while I waited.  Since I was going to have to remove the machine from the frame I went ahead and finished the quilt, even though it meant having the thread break several more times.  But Hollywood now has a quilt.


About two months ago my local quilt shop "Quilt Country" had a sale, 25% off of everything and when we were looking around Sharla spotted this roll of nine purple fabrics.  It was for a quilt they had on the wall, but she thought it would be perfect for Hollywood.  We talked about grey or black to sash it, but I really liked the lighter lavender.  She pieced the top and I quilted it.


She decided to only use seven of the strips because it seemed to big, now it seems a little small.  When I loaded it on the long arm, I had a couple of choices of thread. I almost used a variegated purple, but it looked good only on some of the stripes.  So I chose Lavender by Signature.  I chose this because I wanted to see what happened if I made the thread more visible. Normally I want the thread to blend in, but since this was for Hollywood and I knew he wouldn't complain I thought it was the perfect opportunity to play a little. I also wanted to work on my loops.


Overall I'm happy with the results. Yes I still need to work on my loops, as you can see they aren't of consistent size, but I was also playing with size. I still like the meander the best, because it doesn't require me to think as much as loops. I found I would get on a roll and the loops would all be going in the same direction. This was an end section where I was a little better about keeping the loops going in different directions.  In the end all that matters is that Mr. Hollywood was happy with it.


Now the good news is that they believe they found the issue with my machine and it was repaired.  I tested it in the store and had no issues, now it is a matter of loading a quilt and testing it.  Hopefully that will happen on Monday.  For now I'm linking up with  Can I Get A Whoop Whoop @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Link a Finish Friday @ Richard and Tanya Quilts, TGIFF...at Quokka Quilts, Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, Fabric Frenzy Friday @ Fort Worth Fabric Studio and Let's Bee Social @ SewFreshQuilts.

8 comments:

  1. I think your loops look great! I know what you mean about them going in the same direction - I found myself doing the same thing on my last quilt. :) The colors are so nice, it's a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky guy, got a very nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your loops look great. Part of the fun of quilting is being able to change the size and add some movement (to me, anyway!). Lovely purples, and I like being able to see the quilting with the lighter thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are our own worst critics. Loops look great to me. But I know what you mean, sometimes it's hard to not go with the easy, don't have to think pattern like meandering. For me it's swirls. I'll choose those every day of the week if given the option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers for a repaired machine!
    I wonder what colour my dog would like for a quilt. It is tough luck; she chews her bedding so I am unlikely to make her one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great finish. Purple is my favorite color. I just had to laugh, because I like loops better. I have to think more with a meander.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great purples! What a lucky pup to have his own quilt!

    I do the same thing with loops all going in the same direction and with swirls as well. I have to constantly tell myself to change!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!